Mistakes that Can Increase the Cost of Your Commercial Flat Roof
February 28, 2020
Damage to a commercial flat roof requires a commercial flat roof repair, or worse, a commercial flat roof replacement in Toronto. Flat roofing companies can install a new commercial flat roof or make the repairs you need, but it comes with a significant decision, one not to take lightly. Flat roofing contractors need expertise and knowledge, and that comes from the bedrock of experience. If a commercial contractor has less than a decade’s worth of experience, mistakes will follow, and your roof will be no better off. The errors could be as simple as installing new shingles over old ones or worse yet, not understanding the installation instructions of the product they are installing. The problem here is a poor or incorrect installation will void a product warranty, leaving a building owner on the hook for any repairs needed due to poor workmanship.
Selecting our company, Integrity Roofers, is the best choice you can make. We have been repairing and installing commercial roofing systems for many years, and we have installed all the major brands with attention to detail and the utmost in professionalism.
7 Things to Avoid When Installing Commercial Flat Roof
Hiring an Unqualified Roofer
- Many times, contractors will hold themselves out as a company that can address your needs. Not everyone is honest about his or her skills or experience. That leads to problems down the line and increased costs to correct a problem that you thought was solved the first time. Failing to meet the manufacturer’s installation instructions or shoddy work is the threat a building owner faces here. A dishonest contractor won’t level with you about the problems on the roof – exaggeration of problems – to inflate repair costs hurts a business owner.
Putting Off A Roof Repair
- A small roof repair, often, is met with a shrug. The shrug is the first step to a significant repair when you don’t take action. A small crease in a commercial roofing membrane will allow water to penetrate any roofing system if left to fester. That small patch job becomes a major expense that you can’t ignore. The purchase of a quality roofing system will see your building protected for 50-years – but, bear in mind that seasonal weather problems will have an impact on a roofing system. The damage will occur, and the onus of responsibility falls on the building owner to maintain the roofing system in excellent condition. Regular inspections, – bi-annually at the minimum – by a qualified roofing contractor, will prevent small problems from becoming big headaches down the line.
Underestimating the Cost of Roof Removal
- Certainly, roofing estimates are incomplete; undetected damage underneath the membrane drives costs higher. Pay attention to the estimate you receive from a roofing contractor. A cost increase comes from the removal of the old roof when installing a new one. Labour charges for replacement of an old roof are what drive prices higher, and the bigger the roof, the higher the labour charges for a roof rip-off.
Reroofing Over Old Tiles
- The last thing you want your roofing contractor to do is to add a layer of shingles to an existing layer of damaged shingles. Previously damaged shingles offer no protection to the roofing system, and roofing inspections don’t provide the necessary information when there are two layers of shingles on the roof. Another problem that the situation creates is the extra weight on your rafters and trusses. Structural integrity is essential to a roofing system, and the roof wasn’t intended to carry the excess weight that the second layer of shingles creates.
Inefficient Roofing Inspection
- A roofing system is an interconnected system that relies on many parts of the system to work together effectively. Water is the biggest enemy a roofing system can face, and a professional roofing contractor needs to look beyond the cover. The decking, the trusses, and rafters need to an assessment when roofing work is necessary. No point in putting on a new cap on the roof if the decking is rotten. Your contractor, if reputable, will provide a detailed report of the damage they found and plan to correct it.
Choosing an Unlicensed Roofing Contractor
- There is a temptation to use a contractor who holds no professional accreditation. Financial savings should never be the overriding consideration. It is never about the cost of a roof repair or replacement; it is about the problem what the work will solve. Unlicensed contractors don’t pay municipal license fees, nor do they pay insurance, that is where problems start and could end in a lawsuit should a worker get hurt on your property.
Selecting the Wrong Materials
- A roof needs a quality covering to deliver long-lasting service for the duration of the life cycle. Sure, you can get by on less than the best materials, but the question becomes, do you want to? Lean toward a contractor who sells quality-roofing materials that they will install. That way, you are assured that the roof will be protected and last for many years. Upkeep and regular maintenance go hand-in-hand with quality materials, so don’t hesitate to spend a few extra dollars. The small investment you make today reduces high-cost repairs tomorrow, and that is a benefit for any building owner.
At Integrity Roofers, we offer the best in roofing materials the industry has to offer when we repair or replace your flat roofing system. Combine high-quality materials with excellent tradespeople is how it starts. Our team has a great deal of experience and expertise in the roofing, and you have a marriage made in heaven.
For more than 20-years, our company has provided the best in roofing solutions in the Greater Toronto Area with our attention to detail and quality workmanship. For a free inspection, estimate, and consultation for your commercial building’s needs, call our office today at Integrity Roofers at (416) 736-7373.