How to Keep Your Commercial Roof Cool During the Summer
April 29, 2020
Sizzling summer temperatures can affect your commercial roofing system, and it creates a puzzle for the building owner for steps to take to eliminate the problem. Most, if not all-building owners think that cranking up the A/C will stop the heat problem. But, the problem is the roof, and it needs to be corrected by a commercial flat roof repair in Toronto. If the problem is beyond repair, commercial flat roof replacement services supplying a commercial flat roof replacement is the way to go.
What you must understand here is that a roof will absorb heat and radiate heat in the building when the sun shines on it during the summer months. If your roof is in poor condition, a commercial roof replacement in Toronto is the only solution for the problem if environmental control is your goal.
At Integrity Roofers, we are giving building owners some guidelines to understand how their roofs are heat magnets and what you can do to reduce the heat radiation into their buildings.
Heating & Commercial Roofing
- The colour of the roof makes a big difference when looking at the heat factor. Dark roof colours tend to absorb more heat than light colours that reflect heat. Many studies have demonstrated this fact.
- The presence of insulation or absence of insulation plays a role in the temperature of your building. When you have adequate insulation in the roof of your building, it acts as a shield to prevent heat leakage in the summer.
- The pitch of the roof is another factor to deal with when evaluating your indoor heat problem in the summer. Low-sloped or flat roofs take the brunt of the UV rays the sun radiates, while a pitched roof receives less direct sunlight and is cooler.
A roofing contractor will be able to make recommendations to help reduce heat transfer from your roof to the inside of your building. Some of the suggestions are common sense. Others are practical applications that a roofing contractor and a dedicated staff provide in the maintenance or repair phase of your roof’s maintenance schedule.
How to Reduce Roof Heating
- Applying reflective roof coatings to the roof of your building is a standard solution as long as the roof is covered with a metal sheath or rubber compound. Coatings reflect UV rays, and the thermal remittance aspect of the coating helps repel the rays that are absorbed back from the building. Reducing heat exchange is a benefit for the bottom line; it reduces cooling costs associated with the building’s internal temperatures. Hire a professional to apply the coatings to get the best bang for your buck.
- Installing roof ventilation serves three purposes that most building owners don’t take into consideration. Condensation, or water vapour damages insulation when left unchecked. Vents get the warm air out of the roofing system, reducing the humidity that accumulates in your roofing structure. Improved air quality is vital for your employees. Vents keep fresh air circulating when you need them most when the summer temperatures are stifling, making it hard to breathe. A metal roof will expand and contract when UV rays pound it daily. You can avoid metal fatigue when you have a proper venting system installed for your roofing system.
- An investment in roof repairs and restoration is a solution for roofs that are at the end of the life cycle and starting to deteriorate. Holes, punctures, signs of age or damage are all telltale signs that work are required on the roof. Increased energy bills will be a big hint should you not inspect your roof regularly. When the roof is entirely shot, a re-roof with energy-efficient materials is the best solution money can buy. If you have some value left in the roof, a roof restoration will hold promise. Repairs to damaged areas combined with an application of reflective coating go along way to improve your structure and the temperature within.
- When you consider adding roof insulation to your premises, it is never a bad idea. Applying spray foam insulation to your roof will solve three problems that you are experiencing. It improves the structural soundness of your building. Windstorms can be devastating to a building’s structural integrity, and the foam re-enforcement adds to the strength of the building. The improved structural integrity acts as protection for other problems that arise. Last but not least, the spray foam stops intruders like insects and vermin from gaining access to your building.
- Planting trees around the building will save money on cooling costs. Two or three trees within reasonable proximity to the building create shade for the roof. That reduces the UV rays exposure and, in the process, keeps your building cooler. But, you need to monitor the growth of the trees; when branches are overhanging your roof, it becomes a problem when debris lands on the roof.
Examples of Common Roofing Types and How They Can Be Made Cool
- Built-up roofing systems date back to the early days of roofing. They are the tar and gravel systems that are present in many buildings. A retrofit for the roof with a white, UV resistant, mineral fibreglass topside will lower temperatures inside the building.
- Roof coatings are a chemical creation of two substances that bond and expand, and the compound adheres to the roof. A cool roof is a net result when the mixture is used with the reflective coating infused in it.
- A metal roof is a simple problem to solve. A coat of reflective paint on the surface lowers building temperatures before the paint is dry.
- The modified bitumen roofing system is made with several layers that are plastic or rubber. Sealing the last layer that is exposed to the sun with a reflective coating reduces heat radiation in the building, creating a comfortable environment.
- Roofing systems that contain shingles, slate, or tiles are modified to prevent UV radiation from penetrating the building. Shingles are treated with reflective granules to stop radiation. For tile and slate roofing systems – a reflective coating that pre-applied is the best way to mitigate heat leakage indoors.
- A single-ply roofing system is a pre-fab system that is one large sheet that is rolled out and affixed to the roof with fasteners. UV resistant, reflective coatings are the answer here, but a customer must order at the time of purchase of this roofing system.
Speak With Integrity Roofers to Keep Your Building Cool
When you want to keep cool, reach out to us at Integrity Roofers. We have a team with the expertise you need and the experience to lower the temperatures of your commercial structure. Our name is synonymous with quality workmanship, forged over two decades service in the Greater Toronto Area.