6 Signs That Indicate You May Have Roof Problems
August 10, 2018
The roof is one of the most critical parts of your house’s structure as it provides shelter from the outside elements. You must check on its condition and ensure it is always holding up well, particularly after storms or strong winds. Look out for the following red flags to determine whether you require roof repair services or replacement.
Factors That Indicate You Might Have Roof Problems
- Age of Your Roof – The age and the associated history are crucial factors. Depending upon other variables such as outside elements, a roof typically lasts for about a couple of decades. Ask yourself the following questions to ascertain its remaining life:
- Were there any major repairs done previously?
- Has it been removed before?
- How many layers of shingles are present?
- What is the condition of the ventilation?
- Is it having structural problems such as sagging?
The answers to these questions will help you decide whether your roof requires replacement or repairs.
- Leaks in the Roof – This is the most common sign that indicates a problem with your roof system. Leaks usually occur after heavy snowfall or rains. Keep an eye on these and call professionals who provide roof leak repair services immediately if you spot any water damage.
- Stains on the Ceiling & Walls – Ice damming, using low-quality metal flashing, or poor flashing installation are the causes of stains on the walls and ceiling of your house. If left untreated, these may pose a serious threat.
- Damage to the Paint – Peeling or blistering of paint also indicates that you may have roof problems. It is often due to poor attic ventilation. Moisture becomes trapped in the attic and causes damage.
- Problems with Roof Shingles – Shingles are quick indicators when it comes to roofing problems. Look for the following:
- The decay of shingles caused by age or constant exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Discoloured shingles due to loss of granules.
- Cracked, missing, curling or buckling shingles which may be because of age or incorrect work done by roofers.
Depending on the state of the shingles, you can decide if you need repair services, partial, or complete replacement.
- Daylight through the Roof – If you see rays of light coming through the boards in your attic, know that it is a sign of a problem. Call the experts to investigate it before the situation gets worse.
Are a threat to any roofing system. Tree branches scrape on the shingles removing a layer of asphalt or the granules that cause water to run in streams to the gutters, not a good thing. Leaves and tree debris accumulate in rain gutters causing drainage issues to the downspout, meaning your roof can move water that will eventually penetrate the system. And branches can breach the shingles and decking if they break off. It is important to keep your trees trimmed so they don’t damage the roofing system.
Damaged Plumbing Vent Boot
The vent boots can be all plastic or a combination of plastic and metal. Metal rusts, plastic cracks and rot can start where the boot is attached. It has never been more important to maintain vigilance when inspecting the vent boot as they are a likely source for water leaks. If you recognize this problem, call a roofing contractor for timely maintenance and repair work before it becomes a costly problem to solve.
Mould Where the Roof and Exterior Wall Meet
Mould will grow wherever an environment presents itself. Your roof flashing will direct water away from your home, in the event of a flashing failure water can cascade between a door jamb creating wood rot at the sheathing due to mould. It could take years for the problem to reveal itself and by then it is too late.
Rain gutter leaks start where the metal has rotted and rusted a hole in the channel. A contractor can repair the problem if the gutter is still sturdy, preserving the eavestrough from a total replacement.
Missing Gutter Apron
You need a gutter apron to keep rainwater from draining behind the shingles and being absorbed by the decking. Rot will begin at the fascia and soffit creating no end of problems, and a costly roof repair is in your future. Get a roof inspection from a qualified contractor and a maintenance plan with bi-annual inspections so you can rest easy.
Eight Signs of Roof Damage You Can’t Neglect
Missing, cracked or curling shingles should provide cause for concern. Over time they become susceptible to damage and can’t repel the elements. High winds cause shingle damage, when you see problems contact a contractor for a quality repair.
Water Stains and Leaks
Water stains are indicative of leaks, if you see bubbling, you know you have problems. This problem is one confined to winter months when you have snow buildup and indicates other problems with your roofing system. Caulking breaches or holes in the attic are common causes, so don’t let the problem fester.
Ventilation issues cause moist air and in turn mould. It forces your HVAC system to work longer and harder – HVAC repairs and higher utility bills are commonplace. Peeling paint and wallpaper will tell you if you have problems as will fungal growth on the shingles.
Everybody loves trees but not your roof. Leaves clog gutters, branches wear down shingle granules – causing poor drainage – and limbs can harm a roof’s structural integrity. If you have tree branches over your roof keep them trimmed and avoid eventualities.
If you don’t have direct sunlight on the roof over the course of the day, moss spores can be invasive in shady, moist areas. Moss will harm the matting between the shingles and decking, if you see a high concentration of moss on the roof call a contractor for a professional removal.
Curled Or Corroded Flashing
Flashing is the shield every roof needs for protection. When assessing roof damage, check the chimney to see if the flashing is still intact. If it has corroded or is curling it is time for a professional to make things right. Flashing is part of the drainage system as it moves water to shingles, then to gutters and on to downspouts. Stop leaks by maintaining the flashing, roofing contractors repair this problem all the time.
Keeping gutters clear means the drainage system is working at peak efficiency. Twigs, tree branches, objects and leaves can build up, reducing drainage capacity. Have your gutters cleaned twice a year through a roof maintenance plan and stop water dead in its tracks.
If you hear noises in the attic, it could mean a critter has gotten in. that should tell you you have a hole in the roof. First call an exterminator then a roofing contractor to cover the hole. Vermin carry disease that can be passed to humans, and they will destroy insulation and wiring if given the chance.
It is essential that you consider the condition of your roof and keep an eye out for these signs of damages to avoid the need to seek emergency repair services.
Call a Qualified Roofer for All of Your Needs
At Integrity Roofers, we provide services including roof leak repair services and roofing shingle replacement in Toronto and the GTA. Our team will analyze the root cause of your problem and provide solutions to fix it quickly and efficiently.